Fitzgeralds Park & Cork Public Museum

Today we will take a walk to Fitzgerald’s Park & Cork Museum.

The original museum building is a converted Georgian house within Cork’s Fitzgerald Park. Built in 1845 by the Beamish brewing family and in 1910, the house was reopened as a museum.

Exhibits focus on the archaeological record of the Cork area, including finds from excavations around the city’s medieval walls, as well as the economic and municipal history of the city, such as civic regalia and artefacts covering the merchant history of the Port of Cork. Other displays include Bronze Age mining tools from copper mines in West Cork, locally discovered Iron Age helmet horns, and ancient Greek and Egyptian artefacts.

The park is approximately 12 acres in size and contains a pond, the Cork Public Museum, sculpture trail, bandstand, a café and a large children’s play area. The area of the park is joined to Sunday’s Well across the River Lee by Daly’s bridge (a pedestrian suspension bridge known locally as the “Shakey Bridge”).

  • What?
    Fitzgeralds Park & Cork Public Museum
  • When?
    2:00 pm
  • Where?
    Meet outside CEC
  • How much?